(Version <1> posted and last modified on February 22, 2021)
“Claims” means a claim for coverage under an Insurance Policy.
“Insurance Policy” means an insurance policy that is purchased by you through the Platform that sets out the relevant coverage, limits and terms.
“Insurer” means the insurer that underwrites your Insurance Policy, as indicated in your Insurance Policy.
“Platform“ means the proprietary software services that Duuo has made available to you through the Website to allow you to get a quote, purchase Insurance Policies, manage your Insurance Policies and submit Claims.
“Premium” means the amount payable for the coverage provided by an Insurance Policy.
“Representatives” means, collectively, the employees, agents, and subcontractors of Duuo, your Insurer and Slice, as the case may be.
“Slice” means Slice Labs Inc., who have facilitated the provision of the Platform by Duuo.
“Website” means the website provided to you by Duuo that is located at https://duuo.ca, and includes all subdomains of that website, present and future.
- 2. What Information is Collected and How it is Used:
The following describes the personal information that is collected from you when you use the Platform or otherwise interact with us and further describes how we will use and disclose such personal information.
- Account Information. We collect your name and email address to create your account (collectively, the “Account Information”) and will disclose your Account Information to your Insurer. Account Information is used by us to (i) manage your account, (ii) verify your account log-in credentials, and (iii) deliver information about your account or your Insurance Policies when necessary. Account Information is used by us and your Insurer to (i) in conjunction with other information, determine the Premium to be paid for a particular Insurance Policy, (ii) facilitate the purchase of Insurance Policies, (iii) facilitate the processing and payment of your Claim(s), if any, and (iv) to the extent that you have opted-in in compliance with applicable laws, to provide you with news and information regarding our products, services and activities.
- Billing Information. To pay the Premium for an Insurance Policy, you will be required to provide us with the following information: credit card holder name, credit card number, credit card expiry date, card security code (CVV), and billing address (collectively, “Billing Information”). Billing Information is used to process credit card transactions relating to your purchases of Insurance Policies. For more information, please consult the section on “Secured Payments” below.
- Underwriting Information. We collect certain information from you to assist us and your Insurer to underwrite your Insurance Policy (collectively, “Underwriting Information”). The Underwriting Information collected differs, depending on the type of coverage that you select. All Underwriting Information that you provide to us will be disclosed to your Insurer. Duuo and your Insurer will use your Underwriting Information (i) in conjunction with other information, to determine whether you meet the relevant Insurer’s underwriting criteria and to calculate the Premium to be paid for a specific Insurance Policy, (ii) to process your applications for Insurance Policies, and (iii) to investigate, defend or settle Claims.
In addition to the uses described above, Duuo and your Insurer also use your Account Information, Billing Information, Underwriting Information and Claims Information (collectively “Your Data”) to detect, investigate and prevent fraud, for statistical analysis, or in the development of new insurance products and services.
3. Security of Your Data
Duuo, your Insurer and Slice take your privacy very seriously, and follow standard industry practices (physical, electronic and procedural) to protect Your Data. Duuo, your Insurer and Slice have taken steps to ensure that the only personnel who are granted access to Your Data are those with a business ‘need-to-know’ or whose duties reasonably require such information. Duuo, your Insurer and Slice use third party vendors and hosting partners to provide the necessary hardware, software, networking, storage, and related technology required to run the Website and Platform, and these third parties have been selected for their high standards of security, both electronic and physical. For example, Amazon Web Services provides the underlying data storage services and some of the infrastructure necessary to operate the Platform.
Duuo, your Insurer and Slice will use, disclose or retain Your Data only for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which Your Data was collected and as permitted or required by law.
- 4. Gathering of Information for Statistical, Analytical, Monitoring and Security Purposes
Duuo and Slice automatically collect certain anonymous information using third party analytics programs and services such as Google Analytics in order to understand how you use the Website and Platform (collectively, the “Analytic Data”). Analytic Data does not identify you personally. For example, each time you visit the Website, your IP address, browser and computer type, access times, the web page from which you came, and the web page(s) you access (as applicable) are all automatically collected. Duuo and Slice use Analytic Data to better understand your needs and the needs of the Website or Platform users in the aggregate. Duuo also uses Analytic Data to keep track of the number of visits to the Website and the specific pages on the Website that are visited to identify and remedy bugs and to identify and develop improvements. Finally, Analytic Data may be used to detect, investigate and prevent fraud and violations of the TOU, and for security monitoring of the Platform. Analytic Data may be transferred to third-party analytics program and service providers so that they can provide the relevant features of their programs and services.
5. Cookies and Related Tracking Technologies
Duuo uses “cookies” on the Website and Platform. Cookies are small text files placed in the memory of the device that you are using when you visit the Website to track use and improve your user experience. The Website and Platform use “session cookies,” which improve your user experience by storing certain information from your current visit on your device.
- to facilitate your signing-in to your account on the Platform;
- to provide general internal and user analytics;
- to conduct research to improve the content of the Website and Platform;
- to facilitate payment processing, and repeated payment processing in the Platform; and
- to assist in identifying possible fraudulent activities.
(not applicable in Québec) Duuo, Slice and their respective Representatives shall not be held responsible for any function that does not operate or that operates with reduced functionality as a result of your refusal to accept cookies or your deletion of cookies, or any losses or damages (pecuniary or otherwise) arising as a result of a function not operating or having reduced functionality as a result of your refusal to accept cookies or your deletion of cookies.
6. Disclosure of Your Data to Third Parties
Duuo, your Insurer or Slice may share Your Data: (1) in response to subpoenas, court orders, or legal processes; or to establish, protect, or exercise their respective legal rights or defend against legal claims or demands; (2) where necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, fraud, or situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, or any violation of the TOU; or (3) where necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding situations that involve abuse of the Website or Platform infrastructure or the internet in general (including but not limited to voluminous spamming, denial of service attacks, or attempts to compromise the security of the Website or Platform). The Platform is owned by Slice and is operated by Slice on behalf of Duuo. Accordingly, Slice uses Your Data and the Analytic Data to operate the Platform. In turn, Slice uses certain third-party service providers (collectively “Third-Party Providers”) to supplement the operation of the Platform. Your Data is transferred from Slice to these Third-Party Providers, but only to the extent required for the Platform to function properly. In addition to the foregoing, Slice may irrevocably anonymize Your Data (in such a way that it can not be used to identify you, whether on its own or in combination with other information) and then use such anonymized information for the purposes of maintaining and improving its technology.
7. Secured Payments
8. Risks Associated with the Internet and Wireless Data Transmission (not applicable in Québec)
Despite our best efforts to ensure that third parties will not access or obtain Your Data through your use of the Website or Platform, complete confidentiality and security cannot be guaranteed when transmitting data over the internet or via wireless digital technology of any type. Communication via the internet or wireless technology is subject to interception, loss, or alteration. You acknowledge and agree that Duuo, your Insurer, Slice, and their respective Representatives are not responsible for damages resulting from the transmission of confidential information (including but not limited to Your Data) over the internet or other wireless technology, and that such transmissions are at your own risk.
9. Transfer of Information Outside of Canada
Your Data may be stored and processed in Canada, the United States or any other country where Duuo, your Insurer, Slice, or the Third-Party Providers have facilities, and by using the Website or Platform or otherwise submitting information (including personal information) to Duuo or your Insurer, you consent to the transfer of information to such countries. While Your Data is located outside of Canada, it is subject to the laws of the country in which it is located, and may be subject to disclosure to the governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies of such other country, pursuant to the laws of such country.
- 10. Accessing and Updating Your Data
We will take steps to ensure that Your Data is kept as accurate and complete as reasonably necessary. However, you are responsible for providing us with updates to Your Data when required.
You may make a written request to review Your Data, and we will provide you with Your Data to the extent required by law. You may also challenge the accuracy or completeness of Your Data. If you successfully demonstrate that Your Data is inaccurate or incomplete, we will amend Your Data as required.
We may require that you provide appropriate identification to fulfill your request to access or correct Your Data. Any such identifying information will be used only for this purpose.