Short-Term Rental Property Insurance
So, you’ve decided to enter the exciting world of being a short-term rental property host. That’s great! In all likelihood you’ve chosen to list your property on one of the excellent platforms available in Canada like CanadaStays or Airbnb.
But whether you’re just starting out or you’re already a seasoned host, you probably have some concerns about handing strangers the keys to your home. That’s why it’s so important to have the right short-term rental property insurance. Now with Duuo you can protect yourself and your home for just a few dollars a night.
What is short-term Rental Property Insurance?
You can think of short-term Rental Property Insurance from Duuo like the hot fudge on top of your insurance sundae. You keep your existing home insurance policy, but then Duuo provides coverage for both you and your home for risks related to your short-term rental. So easy!
Duuo is 100% digital and “on-demand”. That means you only pay for the nights you host guests.
Why do you need short-term Rental Property Insurance?
If you think about it, awesome platforms like CanadaStays, Airbnb, and many others just didn’t exist when home insurance policies were designed. Unfortunately, this created gaps in coverage that are now leaving many hosts vulnerable. That’s why Duuo was developed by The Co-operators.
Here are a few reasons why getting short-term Rental Property Insurance is so important:
- Many home insurance policies do not cover short-term rental property activity
- To protect yourself and your home, it’s important to have an insurance policy that is under your name specifically
- Proper coverage will protect you from the unique challenges hosts face like damage to appliances and rental income interruption
- Coverage will include up to $2 million dollars in liability protection
- Replacement cost for the value of your home up to $1.5 million
What does short-term Rental Property Insurance cover?
Looking for more detail on the short-term Rental Property Insurance coverage you get with Duuo? No problem, here is a summary:
Duuo covers your home, contents, and any additional buildings on your property for replacement cost. Additional expenses for other living arrangements during repairs of an insured loss are also covered. The standard property deductible is $1,000, but many coverages are deductible-free.
Extensions of Property
Customized coverage designed to protect the particular risks you face as a short-term rental host including vandalism, malicious damage, and water damage at full policy limits.
Plus, the following additional coverages at no deductible:
- Accidental breakage of valuable articles – $2,500
- Excessive use of internet – $1,000
- Infestation coverage – $5,000
- Legal expense coverage – $5,000
- Property of guests – $5,000
- Accidental damage to electronics and appliances – $2,500
- Identity fraud expense – $10,000
- Citations, fines, and penalties – $1,000
- Rental interruption coverage – Actual Loss
Should a claim be made against you for bodily injury or property damage occurring during a rental, we’ve got you covered. We pay for any damages awarded against you, up to $2,000,000.
Extensions of Liability
We offer customized coverage to protect your additional liability as a short-term rental host. There is no deductible for these coverages:
- Guest’s vandalism to neighbours – $2,000,000
- Infestation liability – $10,000
- Guest’s water damage to neighbours – $2,000,000
How much does Rental Property Insurance cost?
Short-term Rental Property Insurance from Duuo costs an average of just $8 per night. Plus, the benefit of having on-demand insurance is that you only pay for the nights you host guests.
For some reason not everybody seems to enjoy reading insurance policies as much as we do. But we always suggest reading our complete policy. It makes for great bedtime reading!