Duuo Community Blog
Your source for insurance resources, tips, interviews, and more!
Tips for renting out your home during the Canada Games
There will be a national spotlight shining on Red Deer, Alberta as it hosts the Canada Games from February 15 – March 3. During this exciting time, Red Deer will welcome more than 20,000 visitors – that’s equal to 20% of the population!
With the influx of tourists and increased demand for accommodations, The Canada Games can be a great opportunity to earn some extra money by renting out part, or all of your home as a short-term rental.
Whether you’re an experienced host or thinking about it specifically for the Canada Games, there are simple ways to make sure your home stands out from the rest:
Grab their attention with a captivating headline
The title of your listing is meant to attract your potential guests. It’s a way to grab their attention and get them interested. Since you know the Canada Games is what’s driving the arrival of thousands of guests, make sure to highlight that in your headline.
Guests want to know that they can easily get around the city, and that your home is Canada Games central. Here are some examples of what your attention-grabbing headline could be:
- “Stay at your own “Canada Games Headquarters” in the heart of the city!”
- “Steps away from The Centrium – Home of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies”
- “Downtown home, walking distance from the Canada Games action”
- “Be part of the action – Home Overlooking Canada Games Village!”
Hook them in with an awesome experience
Now that you’ve grabbed their attention with the headline, you’ll want to hook them in with a captivating description of the experience they’ll enjoy while staying at your home. Photos, home-sharing ratings, a list of amenities, and a description of the location are a great place to start. Here are a few ways to do that:
- If you can, get professional photos taken to show off your home. Photos that showcase natural lighting, your décor, and cleanliness are key to coming out on top.
- Reviews build your reputation as a host and help guests decide if they want to stay in your home. The more you can highlight your rating and past experiences (if any), the better chance you’ll have of booking your home.
- Don’t have any reviews yet? Don’t worry! Just mention in your bio that this is your first time hosting and you’re excited to welcome guests to Red Deer!
- Since we know that the Canada Games are going to be a focus for guests, make sure to highlight your location and the venues that are close to your home. This way your guests can see how easy it will be to get from one venue to the other, while getting the true Red Deer experience.
Create a memorable stay for your guests
Once you’ve got guests locked in for the Canada Games, you’ll want to make sure that their stay is enjoyable, memorable, and one that they will brag about to their family and friends. It’s easy to do:
- Bring their Canada Games experience to life with maps of Red Deer, Canada Games schedules, and information about the opening and closing ceremonies, events, games, and more. This way, they can plan their days from the comforts of your home and get a feel for your hospitality right from check-in.
- Chances are you are hosting out of town guests who will have questions about where to go, where to eat, and what to do. To make their experience memorable and comfortable, be available to them to answer their questions to make them feel right at home. Maybe even check in on them throughout their stay. These added touches will make their experience that much more memorable.
- Other easy ways to make your guest’s stay more memorable:
- Have a welcome basket waiting for guests upon arrival that includes light snacks, water, and a welcome note
- Have extra phone chargers, tooth brushes, and bathroom accessories handy in case guests forget these sought-after items
- Some guests travelling to Red Deer might not be used to the cold weather, so a few extra scarves, hats, and mitts is a great added touch and will keep guests warm!
Protect your home
Renting out your home is a great way to make some extra money, but in very few cases it can lead to some potential problems. One simple way to make sure you aren’t left high and dry is to set a strict cancellation policy (such as 50 per cent refund if canceled more than a week before, and no refund within a week of the event) to ensure that you are making money even if your guests cancel.
It’s also super important to make sure you are protecting both yourself and your home with the right type of insurance. That’s because your home insurance policy likely does not cover issues related to short-term rental bookings. That’s why you’ll also want to get short-term rental insurance for the nights you host guests.
You can do this for just a few dollars a night with Duuo, a new on-demand insurance service that offers short-term rental coverage for just for the nights you need it. Knowing you’re covered if a guest gets hurt or damages your property will definitely make it much easier to feel comfortable renting your home, while still cashing in on the Canada Games frenzy!
Ready to get your quote on short-term rental insurance? It only takes 25 seconds: